POSITION DUTIES: The Chesapeake Conservancy (Conservancy) is currently accepting applications for two Interpretive Outreach Assistants. These positions are based out of Annapolis, Maryland and will require travel throughout the states of Maryland, Virginia, Pennsylvania, and Delaware. This is a seasonal position with no benefits.
The Conservancy and its governmental partner, the National Park Service Chesapeake Bay Office, manage a mobile interpretive vehicle, the Chesapeake Roving Ranger, and schedule it for appearances at events in the Chesapeake region throughout the year. Two Interpretive Outreach Assistants will drive the vehicle to scheduled events, hold interpretive programs, and deliver outreach duties at various partner sites throughout the Chesapeake Bay watershed. Programs will include topics related to environmental education and cultural heritage of the region and Chesapeake Bay as a whole. To learn more about the Chesapeake Roving Ranger, visit: https://chesapeakeconservancy.org/what-we-do/explore/find-your-chesapeake/roving-ranger/
Successful candidates must be able to work as a team in the field and perform various interpretive, educational, and administrative duties, including:
- Driving, staffing, and providing interpretive outreach at various events throughout the Chesapeake Bay watershed.
- Planning, conducting, and evaluating natural and cultural history interpretive programs and environmental education programs for the public and organized groups by request.
- Creating a positive, fun, and safe environment for visitors of all ages and backgrounds by being hospitable, approachable and engaging.
- Initiating conversations with visitors and answering questions to promote curiosity and relevance.
- Responding verbally and effectively to visitor inquiries for information, direction, and/or guidance.
- Engaging visitors with conversation, stories, interpretive programs, and other creative pathways that spark a personal connection to the Chesapeake Bay.
- Maintaining a clean and organized work area on the Chesapeake Roving Ranger.
- Tracking visitor interactions, vehicle mileage and expenses to report to supervisor.
- Working independently, as well as maintaining positive working relationships with other staff.
- Collaborating with the educational and interpretive programming staff at National Park Service Chesapeake Bay and other seasonal interpretive staff to update and create environmental education programs.
- Writing and updating content for our partnership website, http://www.FindYourChesapeake.com Performing other duties as assigned.
The shift hours for this position vary; examples of shift hours include 7am – 4:30pm, 9am-6:30pm. The positions require work on 3 of 4 weekends per month, plus additional days during the week. Days may be as long as 12 hours per day. Overnight travel may be required. Minimum of 30 hours per week, not to exceed 40 hours per week.
Education: Possession of a high school diploma or high school equivalence certificate.
Experience: Possess a basic knowledge of natural and cultural history; have
experience working with the public; hold solid communications skills; ability to follow oral and written instructions; and ability to work in a team setting.
- Age 18 or over.
- Valid driver’s license and good driving record.
- Adherence to all State and Federal laws and safety regulations
- Ability to safely and comfortably drive a large vehicle over large distances.
- Ability to work well and effectively on a team, and independently with guidance from supervisors.
- Ability to work with a diverse staff and engage with a diverse range of people.
- Demonstrate exceptional interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to stand for prolonged periods of time, climb and descend steps, engage in frequent bending, stooping, kneeling, crouching, and reaching.
- Ability to lift up to 30 pounds on a regular basis.
- Ability to work outside in all types of weather, resulting in exposure to cold, heat and humidity, rain, wind, direct sunlight, etc.
- Attendance at all required trainings.
- Maintain a neat and clean appearance and wear appropriate issued uniform correctly.
- Availability to work weekends, evening, days and holidays as scheduled.
- Reliable transportation required.
- Must pass criminal background check.
For more information and how to apply click here.